Sunday, August 24, 2008

Up for the challange





With my manhood at stake, I told everyone at work about the enrollment of my cake decorating classes. Everyone thought it was hilarious. They thought the cake I made must have been so terrible, that my wife signed me up for these classes to ensure the fate of any future cakes I would ever embark on decorating. After seeing the pictures, however, they were pretty surprised that this prior Special Ops guy had it in him to make something so "pretty." I then started bringing in all my class projects just so they wouldn't go to waste at my house (my wife and I were really getting burned out on cake and butter cream frosting). Of course they didn't complain and there were always requests for more icing. A few weeks later, I was presented with a request to make a birthday cake for a co-worker. And then another...and another...and another. I then became the official birthday/special events cake decorator of the squadron. Each cake was more of a challenge. How could I make it more unique and fun than the last? I wanted to take each person's personality and capture it in a cake. The X-Box was for a gamer, The Saddle-a Rider, The Kareoke Machine-you guessed it--This guy really LOVED to do Kareoke...A Lot! I really dove in and was up all hours of the night trying to perfect the little details. I really had no idea what I was doing, but was determined to make it something amazing. Something to shock and awe. With each cake, the results were more and more rewarding. Emails started going out at work and people from other squadrons were coming over to see "the cake Capt. Reeves brought in." And of course the story of how it all started became more and more colorful and elaborate each time. Then the requests got bigger...

No comments: